Thursday, October 29, 2009

Crossing into Guatemala






As drove the last part of Mexico, I drove through several small mountain towns with people dressed in traditional clothing and fetching water from wells. It was a side of Mexico that I had not seen yet. Turns out I was driving on a rally track before I got pulled over and told to wait. After receiving a quick lecture about importing my car through mexico, I got my passport stamped and was allowed to cross into Guatemala. Guatemala is a lot like Mexico, but the people seem to be a lot poorer. While driving through the hills in Guatemala I came across a couple of ghosts in broad daylight. They wore white button ups and black ties. The missionaries from texas stuck out like sore thumbs in the little rural town. I stopped and talked to them for a couple minutes before continuing on my way. Guatemala City is a lot like Mexico City. Dirty and smells. I had woken up around 5 to get an early start on driving and an to leave the city while it was sleeping more or less. There are absolutely no road signs and after asking 5 or 6 people who gave me ineffective directions I decided to set out in search of wifi for help. Finally around 9:30 I made it out of Guatemala City.

1 comment:

  1. Nate if you were already on the rally road why didn't you just paint some numbers on your car and keep going?? Who knows you might have come in first place!!

    ReplyDelete