Thursday, October 29, 2009

Costa Rica!











Crossing into Costa Rica was the longest boarder encounter yet. I met a couple of Irish guys while standing in line. I felt bad when I would ask them to repeat things due to the thick accent. They were 2 months into a yearlong adventure to circumnavigate the globe. After passing through the boarder I gave them a ride to Liberia, a town about 50 miles from the boarder. We talked about their travel plans and how in Europe it is much more normal for people to take year long vacations from work; compared to the U.S. After getting 50,000 colons ( like $65 dollars) out of the atm in Liberia we set out for Mcdonalds where they met their friends. I have to admit the burgers tasted amazing. Tacos, salsas and lime had left me craving a burger. After dinner I said goodbye and set out towards the Nicoya Penninsula. The next day I set out for some caves in a national park but after an hour and half drive I started getting hungry and decided to turn back. One of the dirt roads i turned down was dead ended by a swift river. So i got out and started looking around before i noticed that there were about 7 or 8 monkeys in the trees. My first time seeing monkeys in the WILD! ahaha I felt like an idiot running around in excitement trying to snap of as many pictures as i could of the monkeys as they laughed at the silly human down on the ground. After filling up the memory card I decided to keep going and try to see Arenal Volcano. Rain and clouds prevented me from seeing the majestic mountain, but I still went on a hike through the cloud forest. I started walking through the jungle/forest right at dusk so the inside the canopy it was barely lit. Headed to fortuna, giving the hiking trail attendant a ride back to his house. Costa Rica is def. on my top five list. It outlives the hype that it gets thus far.

1 comment:

  1. Nate it all sounds so interesting!! I love the hanging bridge. And the monkey picture. What a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete